Thursday 5 September 2013

I love F-O-O-D.......Do you?

Have you ever used the "insert button" on your keyboard, or even Num Lock, Screen Lock and Pause button? They are just there on every keyboard I have seen. I have never ever used them ever.

In case, you are wondering why am I talking about this, I just have to say, "I AM TRYING TO MAKE A LITTLE CONVERSATION.PLEASE CHIP IN AND INTRODUCE A NEW TOPIC TO TALK ABOUT".

I hate forced conversations. They are as clichés as "Opposites attract" and "When you have lemons, make lemonade" kind of things.

The point is what do you do then. Well, if the other person is sensitive to your dilemma, he/she helps out and thinks about something you can speak about. People talk things like "weather", and stuff about "pet dogs" and "nephews/nieces"(guys....this is like an instant icebreaker with most of the girls). I even once spoke to a guy who told me his sad story for 45 minutes non stop about his messed up love life and how he is the "poor guy". (The "poor guy" in question had by then, in fact dated around 5 girls, after puberty hit him. I feel hopeful for his quest of "true" love).

Everybody has icebreakers. I know a few people who would kill to talk about football. I dont watch football. Imagine, if somebody starts gushing about "Gossip Girl" when you are not even an iota interested, or well talking about the Bohemian Rhapsody when you have ever listened to it.

I talk about "food". Food is something which everybody consumes. Everybody has his/her likes and dislikes. There are some who are vegetarians and if you mention "chicken" they make a face. They then, start with a parody of benefits about "wholesome, nutritious vegetarian food." They even quote how Kareena Kapoor's sex appeal has an innate connection with her being vegetarian. 

You can talk about the street food you love. You can talk about the Chinese food you love. You can talk about roadside chowmein wala you favour the most.The conversation keeps flowing and by the time, its over you have discussed all kinds of foods, and new food joints you should try. The awkwardness vapourizes.

In India we even talk about the failing economy with conversations ending with "bharashtachar in politics" kinds of things.

We talk about movies. Some fancy people make a face and scoff at bollywood movies. you then simply talk about hollywood movies.

Anyway so sports, movies and politics is a normal icebreakers for us Indians. I personally prefer the "food talk". After all "Food maketh the man".

This post is kind of making me hungry.

PS: I am listening to Chariots of Fire these days a little too often. What are you listening to?


No comments:

Post a Comment